Nord Pool is in the second half of January 2018 launching a new market concept in the form of cross-border intraday auctions in the Nordics, Baltics and Germany.
The intraday auctions are a new market, complementing the continuous intraday market to create a clear intraday price signal, increased transparency and providing new trading opportunities in an auction format.
Two new daily intraday auctions will be run - at 22:00 and 10:00 CET - enabling trading across bidding zones using the cross-border capacities available at the time. The 22:00 auction will cover all 24 hourly products of the upcoming day, while the morning auction will cover the last 12 hours of the day.
The intraday auction concept will be based on Nord Pool’s well-functioning day-ahead system and Euphemia algorithm.
Any further updates on this page will be mentioned here.
17 November: Testing date updated.
What is it?
- The auction covers the Nordics, Baltics and Germany
- Two daily auctions run with gate closures at 22:00 and 10:00 CET
- 22:00 CET auction covers [00 – 24]
- 10:00 CET auction covers [12 – 24]
- Product type: Hourly products
- Orders are as in day-ahead market and matched the same way
- Order types available: Curve orders, regular block orders and profiled block orders
- Price limits are the same as in the day-ahead market; - 500 EUR/MWh and + 3000 EUR/MWh
- Orders are uploaded as Excel spread sheets or directly through the user interface
- Trade capture is done manually from the user interface as downloads of Excel spread sheets or automatically through the CASS API
- Transmission capacities between bidding zones are frozen for the auction 15 minutes before auction gate closure, meaning that it is still possible to trade inside each bidding zone. Technically the capacities are set to zero
- Transmission capacities are returned from the auction to the continuous intraday market when the results are available as soon as possible after the auction gate closure. In case of technical difficulties or other issues, the timeout for returning capacities to the continuous market is set at 30 minutes
A Q&A is accessible through link on this page.
If you are already a member trading at Nord Pool, please request access to our member test environment by registering. Please use the member test sign-up form.
If you are not a member please apply for membership.
Log on is with Single Sign On (SSO), using electronic 2 factor authentications. Nord Pool may re-utilise users already registered for trading in the Intraday market. New users must register with Nord Pool.
How you can provide input and join
Nord Pool invites customers and stakeholders to join its Customer Focus group. Training is available in webinars and on a one-to-one basis. Testing will be available at the Nord Pool intraday auction testing environment.
Links will be added to this page shortly, to allow customers to register to join.
See our competitive fee structure.
- Concept presentation and discussion: 22 November 14:00-15:00 CET (register)
- Demonstration of user interface: 29 November 14:00-15:00 CET (register)
- Demonstration of user interface: 6 December 14:00-15:00 CET (register)
Testing opens December 12 2017. Sign up using the member test sign-up form.
We will continue to update this page and communicate with members directly regarding the details of the new intraday auctions. In the meantime, should you have any questions or require support from Nord Pool please get in touch.