Nord Pool offers continuous intraday trading within 13 markets.
Through the European Cross-Border Intraday Market (XBID) solution, customers can trade 12 intraday markets in one and get access to a large intraday liquidity pool. These encompass the Nordic, Baltic, German, Luxembourg, French, Dutch, Belgian, and Austrian markets.
Nord Pool also offers intraday trading in the UK.
Our intraday markets are open 24/7, 365 days a year offering 15 minute, 30 minute, hourly and block products providing the flexibility needed to meet the needs of different market areas.
Enter our intraday markets
To be able to trade you must be a Nord Pool member and set up a trading portfolio for the specific market. We will help you make the most of this new opportunity.
Contact our Customer Service to get this sorted.
Shared Order Book
Nord Pool – as with all other power exchanges – is obliged to send all orders which are eligible for matching in XBID to the XBID shared order book. Local products within local order books are only allowed at times before XBID gate opening time and after XBID gate closing time for the relevant market.
Nord Pool Intraday Web and API
You can trade in the intraday market by using our Nord Pool Intraday Web or connect directly to our Intraday API. We have a complete European product offering including 15, 30 and 60 minute products, blocks and iceberg orders.
Intraday Web offers a single point of access to all Nord Pool's intraday markets as well as being fully compatible with the intraday coupling across Europe. We offer sign on via Single Sign On (SSO), and a dynamic front end that can be easily adapted to meet individual user preferences.
Changes from XBID go-live
Nord Pool Intraday Web and API are XBID-compatible. From go-live on 12 June some things changed. These changes are related to:
Trade cancellation at go-live
Due to an error in trade cancellation functionality within the central XBID system, the new cancellation process will be limited until a solution has been deployed to production. For Nord Pool customers, this means:
- Trade cancellation requests will have to be made to Nord Pool by telephone as today. The new automatic solution in the trading client will be disabled until XBID has fixed the error.
- Trade cancellation requests can only be processed if the counterparty is a Nord Pool member.
- Apart from this, the new cancellation rules remain, which means that Nord Pool approves cancellation if:
- the counterparty is a Nord Pool member
- there is available capacity to cancel the trade
- the request for trade cancellation is given within deadline i.e. call is received within 5 minutes after trade execution and not less than 20 minutes before gate closure
- Nord Pool also supports the ‘gentleman’s agreement’ in a case where the cancellation request is received outside of the deadline, as described in the new rulebook.
- The new fee structure applies thus:
- If request for trade cancellation is given within the deadlines, fee only applies if trade is recalled
- If request for trade cancellation is given outside of the deadlines, a minimum fee of 3000 EUR applies regardless of outcome of the cancellation request
Trading and products
All existing products are included, giving customers the best possible intraday trading opportunities.
- Trade recall requests can be triggered by the trader directly from our trading client and is managed automatically by the system.
- Price tick size changes across all markets from 0.1 to 0.01 EUR/MW.
- Minimum size of customised block increases from 1 to 2 hours.
- The XBID order depth visibility (per sell and buy side) is limited to maximum 50 orders, or until sum of orders exceeds 600MW, but never less than 31 orders. The maximum number of orders shown in the order depth for user defined blocks is the same, but divided with the duration of the block contract (rounded down).
- XBID order depth no longer contains area information (flags) for public orders.
- Trade ticker is limited to displaying trades where a minimum one of the counterparties is a Nord Pool member.
- Trade Ticker does not show the aggressor of the trade.
- Due to all orders sent to the XBID system being anonymised, previous functionality to prevent self-trading within a portfolio will not be present at XBID launch. However there will continue to be visual markers in the market information and order depth windows indicating a user’s own orders. Nord Pool is investigating other potential solutions for this.
- New cancelation process will not take effect from XBID go-live. Nord Pool will publish information about this as soon as agreed with the XBID central project.
Gate opening times and gate closing times change
Gate opening times and gate closing times change, which will have various impacts within different markets. See our overview of opening and closing times.